Repairing Weatherstrip on a Car

So recently I was walking by my car,  a 2008 Nissan Xterra, and I noticed one of the rear door weather seal was awkwardly sticking out. I inspected the damage and it seems like it somehow ripped out of the fastener. I tried putting the weather strip back into the fastener but it would not stay.



I looked at different options on how to repair it. First instinct was looking for a OEM weatherstrip replacement but the price was too expensive. Second option was to replace it with an aftermarket weatherstrip, but while comparing the Xterra weatherstrip to the aftermarket it looked a lot different and seemed like it would not work out that well. Lastly, the best option was to use a weatherstrip adhesive to keep the weatherstrip intact.

How to apply weatherstrip adhesive?

1. Buy a weatherstrip adhesive of your choice.  For me I purchased 3M 08008 Black Super Weatherstrip Adhesive due to the overwhelming positive reviews.

3M Black Super Weatherstrip Adhesive


Permatex Black Super Weatherstrip Adhesive

The cheapest option I can find if you’re trying to save money. Permatex Super Weatherstrip Adhesive. 

2.  Remove fastener. For my car I had the old fasteners obstructing the path. Since I could no longer use them I decided it was best to remove it so the weatherstrip can fit flat.

Feel free to discard the fastener once your done because they will be bent and useless.

3. Clean the surface of the door and weatherstrip really well with rubbing alcohol or windex.

4. Apply the adhesive on both the door and rubber. The instructions says wait for it to get tacky before putting the surface together.

5. After waiting for a minute I decided to put the weatherstrip and door together.  What I used for indicators for alignment on the weatherstrip was to match the hole on the weatherstrip with the fastener holes. Try not to make a mess but if you do try your best to wipe off the excess adhesive. For me it dried too fast so I rubbed it off with my hand.

6.  Final Step. Let it dry for a few more minutes before closing the door. Surprisingly, it dries pretty fast and holds its strength.


It was a quick and easy fix for a few dollars. Really happy with the results and it seems like the weatherstrip never had an issue to begin with.